One of the downsides of not having done a computing degree, is that I have never learnt to program. Over the course of my career I’ve dabbled in PowerShell, some examples from years ago of which are still on this blog, however, i’ve never really learnt the basic fundamentals of how to create a program. Unfortunately right now that is annoying me as I would like to be able to pull data from Bittrex using their API and then act on it.
For example, yesterday I talked about the concept of shorter term trading. Now really you either need to be in front of a PC 24/7 or you need someone/something acting for you. I’ve a few ideas for how I want to trade, but don’t really have the time. Therefore I want a bot.
The bot I think, should do a few things.
- Report on current values for certain chosen coins.
- Issue alerts when coins enter a certain range and show which direction they entered from, i.e. up or down.
- Purchase a coin at a preset value chosen by me.
- Wait and see what happens next!
- If the coin loses more than 20% of value, sell.
- When the coin rises to a certain level sell, ideally unless that coin is still rising, in which case wait and sell near the high point. (i.e. something like, watch it rise, hit a trigger which is an acceptable profit, then keep watching and prepare to sell, if it then drops more than 5% from there, sell. If not keep holding and then sell after the highest point from which there is a 5% drop.
No doubt there will be some misses, i.e. some missed opportunities to go higher etc. but the point here is to make a reasonable return, not to get the ultimate perfect return.
I believe that Gunbot can do a bunch of this, but i’m not sure it can do all, plus it’s really rather complex, so I figured creating something I new from scratch would be good. Anyhow that bring me back to being able to program, which I can’t! In fact frankly I’m not really even sure where to start, so this could be a somewhat long journey, unless anyone out there wants to help?